Reflections from the President
“Sumer Is Icumen In” — Summer has arrived, Loudly Sing, Cuckoo!
We have just completed June services at the West Village Meeting House and celebrated the solstice on the lawn with the musical merriment of Sharon & Daniel. We chose raffle tickets for the “Light the Way” lamp, proceeds to benefit driveway paving expense. Thanks to Catie for organizing this raffle and congrats to Jamie, the winner of the beautiful antique lamp.
We are turning the calendar page to July and the start of our new fiscal year. Summer promises to be more free flowing with a variety of summer services but no less busy at All Souls Church.
- Many thanks to the Worship Committee for planning a full schedule of varied summer services — we will have an opportunity to hear from many worship leaders. Reverend Telos will take some well deserved time off this summer and will lead services on July 16 and August 13.
- We will celebrate our collective creativity when the Art Committee displays our new Members & Friends art show. Don’t forget to bring your art on July 2..
- We will have opportunities to gather for fabulous food, friendship and fun with two potluck picnics:
- July 4 – Independence Day Social Justice Picnic at the West Village Meeting House 4 – 8 pm
- August 18 – Annual Townshend Lake Picnic & BBQ at the Townshend Dam 11:30 am – 2 pm
- We will begin planning our social justice activities for the coming year, identifying beneficiaries for “Share the Plate” offering, considering areas of concern for collective action, and thinking about how we might organize to act on our concerns. These conversations will be held on:
- July 4 ( see above). What better way to celebrate the day then thinking about justice for all?
- August 13 – Luncheon and social justice conversation after the Worship Service @ 11:30
- We anticipate sharing our building with a new renter, the Spring of Hope Church of God in Christ which will use the chapel for worship services on Saturday mornings, beginning August 6. We welcome them to our lovely building. We have renewed the lease for Miss Martha’s Creative Early Learning Program which will hold programming for young children throughout the summer. Theatre Adventure will hold summer camp through July 14 and the main hall will be filled with participant art work until that date.
- We will close out August with our Annual Tag-less sale on Saturday, August 26 wth donations being accepted from Sunday, August 20 – Thursday, August 24 of that week. Pass on your unneeded but useable items.
- We will continue with the many projects and meetings of the various task forces, teams, committees and groups. The RE Committee will hold a planning retreat and is in the process of hiring RE Assistants. The Capital Needs Committee is reenergized and meeting monthly to discuss care of our building and property including landscape design priorities. Choir is taking a summer break but crafting, small groups and the women’s group continue to meet. We will prepare meals for Groundworks on the third Thursdays on July 20 and August 17. Parish Council will hold one summer meeting on July 27.
- So much to do… Enjoy the sun, the rain, some relaxation and keep checking the calendar and All Souls website for updates on activities!
With blessings, Leslie